Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Segovia- Steakhouse and Seafood

Saisha Soto is a college student with a love for writing. As a child she would often write short stories, often focusing on her family and friends. When she was a teenager, she discovered that she enjoyed writing for children and wrote stories complete with her own illustrations. Now the writing subject has shifted once more: food and product reviews. In her spare time, she writes reviews for restaurants that she has visited and products which she uses, detailing the pros and cons of each. She hopes to create a blog that focuses on reviews and will attract many readers.


 
Segovia- Steakhouse and Seafood

 Since its opening nearly a year ago, Segovia- Steakhouse and Seafood in Little Ferry, New Jersey, has built up quite a fan base. As a resident of the town, I can say that this Spanish restaurant is beyond popular. As I pass the small restaurant on Main Street, I see the parking lot overflowing with cars, spilling onto the nearby streets and creating their own parking spots alongside the establishment. Specializing in steaks and seafood, it has become the go-to place in town.
During the weekend, Segovia transforms into a completely different restaurant, with the dining room packed to the brim and patrons struggling to hear their company. On a Tuesday night, however, the restaurant lot is noticeably less crowded- an excellent night to go out and enjoy a quiet meal. My parents had invited me to join them earlier that Tuesday for dinner at Segovia, and how could I refuse? When evening came, I was the first to get ready, excited to finally be able to taste food after a short bout of both laryngitis and pneumonia. We made the short trip to the restaurant, planning what we were going to eat the whole way there.
 The building itself is somewhat plain yet welcoming, with a multi-colored brick façade and deep mahogany doors. As I entered the restaurant, I noticed a small bar off to the right. It seemed very cozy and sophisticated, with small tables for two, a smooth granite counter, and stunning cherry barstools. The dining room itself was in the shape of a large rectangle with smaller tables along the edges, and larger tables down the center and featured a unique flooring that the owner describes as "Mediterranean wood and brick." (Kuperinsky) All the tables were adorned with crisp, black and white tablecloths. Small candle lamps lit each table, while the room itself was a bit dim. A few oil paintings lined the walls, each one depicting a different angle of the Spanish geography.
As I took in the scenery, a waiter approached, and with a thick Spanish accent, asked us what we would like to have to drink. Their specialty-what almost everyone of drinking age orders- is sangria, a perfect blend of sliced fruit, red wine, and just enough ice to keep it cool without making it taste watered down. So of course we ordered the sangria, and sipped it as we perused our menus.
The extensive menu consists mainly of steaks, but also contains a “selection of tapas, paella, seafood, poultry, pork, and veal dishes with Spanish flair” (Segovia). After much deliberation, we finally placed our orders. My mother, a seafood lover, ordered a crab cake to enjoy while we waited for our dinners. The crab cake was delivered to our table by another waiter, and much to my surprise, so were about twenty shrimp, sitting in a buttery garlic sauce. The waiter just smiled playfully, and that was when I realized that he was acquainted with my parents. I was the first to take my share of the gift. The peppery pink shrimp were delightful- before I knew it the dish was empty. Our original waiter sped over, bringing us warm, toasted bread along with our house salads. The bread was fantastic- a perfect mix of soft and crusty. On the other hand, the house salads were not impressive. The lettuce leaves were limp and wilted, framed with brown edges. Acidic dressing overpowered the salad and added to already acrid taste.
Only minutes later, our waiters brought us our meals, setting them down gracefully. My churrasco, or skirt steak, came with a chimichurri salsa, a robust sauce made with garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil and parsley. I was most surprised by the size of my steak - thin but about a foot in length, and accompanied by a fluffy saffron rice and limp over-steamed vegetables. The steak was delicious, seasoned with the perfect amount of pepper and salt. As I neared the center of the steak I saw that it was rare, which was a disappointment since I had ordered it medium-well. My father’s meal also included the saffron rice and was accompanied with chicken, with a simple but delicious mix of butter and broth flavors. My mother, the seafood lover, ordered a baked lobster, filled with a savory crabmeat and shrimp stuffing. The aroma alone brought me to give it a taste, and I was not in the least bit disappointed. 
 The ambiance was very calm and quiet while we ate. There was conversation, but somehow it seemed very hushed. Waiters dashed from table to table, making sure everyone was satisfied, always with a smile on their faces. As we finished our meals, we were offered dessert, which we kindly declined due to our very full stomachs. But it did not matter that we could not eat anymore. Our acquaintance brought us a plate of small wedges of light, airy, pistachio flavored ice cream, covered in a shell of dark chocolate. The ice cream was somehow refreshing, despite the fact that my stomach could no longer accommodate any more food.
Entrees can range from $16-$38, and it is well worth the expense. For that amount, they serve you a heaping amount of delicious, savory meals. (You will probably need to take some food home-it is nearly impossible to finish it all in one sitting.)  I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Segovia, and cannot wait to go back and try something new. And while some items at Segovia could use major improvements, there are many that they have just right- and these are the items that so many people keep coming back for.
 

Works Cited

http://www.segoviasteakhouse.com/gallery.html. 

Kuperinsky, Amy. "Starters: Segovia Steakhouse in Little Ferry." 21 May 2010. northjersey.com. 18 January 2012 <http://www.northjersey.com>.

"Segovia Restaurant Success with Spanish Flair." performancefoodservice.com. 18 January 2012 <http://performancefoodservice.com/AFI/Documents/Segovia%20vol%2048.pdf>.

6 comments:

  1. This is the second time I have read your review and I was on the fence the first time, I was sold after running the first two paragraphs this time. Really enjoyed your experience there as you brought it to life for all readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Segovia is an awesome restaurant indeed! So glad that you highlighted it here... my favorite dish (that I could never finish though) is the Rib Eye with au jus on the side. Absolutely incredible and very well priced considering it ought to feed 3 people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that you suggested a good day to go (Tuesdays) and your phrase"planning what we were going to eat the whole way there" -- that's a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time this paper was posted on the discussion board, it made me curious because I've passed the restaurant so many times, and I have heard only good things about the place, so I decided that I had to try it out for myself. I did in fact go there a few weeks ago for the first time, and I must say that I was not disappointed in any way. I went there for lunch and didn't leave until it was dinner time. The Sangria was excellent, the meal ended up being more than I could handle, and the espresso afterwards was the only reason they didn't have to roll me out. I'm already looking forward to the next time my friends and I decide to dine there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garlic shrimp with sangria. Delicious! I really think I have to go check out this place. You say the price of entrees but what i the overall price of meal in there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last time I went it came out to be about $80 for my boyfriend and I, with alcoholic beverages.

    ReplyDelete